(Fred on his Harley at the Tanker Base where he worked. He helped fill the planes for wildfire suppression.)
I have to admit I was a little scared of the man when I started dating his daughter. What man isn't? Plus, I was only 16. But he was so good at putting people at ease, and he made it pretty easy on me. I have no stories of being threatened with bodily harm, even though he may have been thinking it a time or two.
I always looked up to Fred Eiesland. He was taller than me. But it was, of course, much more than that. He spent 24 years as a volunteer firefighter. I have a deep respect for those who are so selfless and willing to risk their own lives for that of others. He was that man. Running out the door at 2:00 a.m., he was willing to lay it on the line to save someone else. I think of how many people are alive today because of something Fred did. That amazes me. This week, Fred's body was escorted back to Brainerd by a long line of fire trucks and fellow firefighters. It's a unique fraternity, and it was an amazing sight.
I also admired his character. He was an honest man. He was full of integrity. He was kind. He was giving. He was a man of courage. He had the heart of a child, but the strength of a giant. He was always there with advice when we were going through a rough spot. But he was always comforting. He smiled and laughed. I'll miss his laugh.
I'll never forget the day our daughter Ellie was born, and Fred and Linda drove through the night to get to Sioux Falls. They stood by the door as she came into the world, and "Papa" as he would be called, was one of the first to hold her in his arms. She was his first grandbaby, and he was so proud. Whenever they would come to visit he and Linda would fight the whole drive down over who got to hold her first.
Like I said, his heart was like a child's, and I think that's why kids just adored him so much. It wasn't just his grandchildren, but nieces, nephews, and kids at church too. They all called him "Uncle Fred." He was always willing to get on the floor and play. I can still hear Ellie's little voice in my head saying, "Papa, Papa, PAPA! Come play in my room!" He always would. And Fred was never ashamed to wear a pink princess crown, if it's what Ellie wanted.


I know my boys won't have any real memories of him, but they'll definitely hear stories of how great their Papa was. I'll make sure of that. A piece of Fred is alive in my boys. For that I'm eternally grateful. I pray that they will grow into men like their grandfather. Even if he did like to teach them to stick out their tongues.
Fred Eiesland wasn't just my father-in-law. He was my friend. One of the things I'll remember most is something that happened about five years ago in California. We were there for Carrie's brother Ben's wedding when Fred, Linda, Carrie and I went to Lake Tahoe for the day. We ate at a cool restaurant and had some ice cream later. But Fred said something during our drive around the lake that will stick with me forever. We had been talking about family relationships and Fred said, "Well, I don't think of you Chris as just my son-in-law, but I look at you as a friend." I'm guessing Fred probably wouldn't even remember saying that. But I remember. It really had a profound effect on my life. We were friends. I wasn't just some guy that was married to his only daughter. He actually liked having me around. And that felt so good to hear.
Many men keep their emotions and their feelings inside and don't express them much. Fred was not that man. We knew we were loved because he told us. Carrie said she feels so peaceful about the fact that there was nothing left unsaid. He called her on her birthday, which was just a few days before he died. She says she doesn't remember anything about their conversation except that they said, "I love you." But that's all that really matters anyway.
We knew we were loved, and he knew we loved him. There isn't much else. We know he had a relationship with Jesus, and that He welcomed him home with open arms. That is what gives us the most comfort.
I'm honored to have shared a big part of my life with such a wonderful man. We had a lot of laughs along the way and I'll miss that a lot. I can still hear his voice when he would call me. Every time I answered he'd say, "Mr. Studer..." and I'd know it was him.
If you'd like to see the obituary CLICK HERE and the story about the firefighter procession CLICK HERE. Here are some other snapshots of Papa...
.jpg)

10 comments:
Beautiful, Chris. Thanks for sharing it.
WOW!!! What a tribute, Chris! I sat here with tears rolling down my cheeks! Please know we are thinking and praying for you guys this week as you celebrate Papa Fred's Homecoming. Please give Carrie and the kids big hugs from the Bakers!
Amazingly said Chris! I too could hardly read this through the clouds of tears, but love how his life is being celebrated!
Love you all!
Chris and Carrie your whole family is in our hearts and thoughts during this time. Chris the tribute you wrote was just AMAZING and want to thank you for sharing. The relationship you and Fred shared sounds wonderful and one of a kind. If you ever need anything at any time feel free to give us a call.
Take Care,
The Gamradt's
Your writing is so genuine and articulate, even in such a difficult time. It brought me, too, to uncontrollable tears. I hardly knew Fred at all, but because of the few interactions I had with him, and the things I learned about him through your blogs, etc, I know that this tribute post is totally true. His smile and approach to life seemed infectious, and I pray you will continue to find peace and joy as you celebrate all that he was.
Chris and Carrie and family,
My thoughts and prayers have been with you ever since I read the news of your father's passing...my heart has been heavy, knowing what you have been going through. What a wonderful tribute you have written Chris, it brought me to tears. I know you will tell the kids all about thier Papa and they will love to hear the stories. May you feel the arms of God wrapped around you during this difficult time and know that he is there. My prayers continue to be with you all.
Many blessings...
Amy Dreke
Chris, Carrie and family....words cannot express....our hearts are with you as you go through this season. May our Lord hold you close as you look to Him. We only had the honor of meeting Papa Fred one time, but we have had the honor of knowing his family, and the honor has been ours. We know him because his fine character has been on display in his daughter. Chris your words are amazing.
Your friends,
The Millers
What great sentiments to honor such a great man...filled with wonderful memories and stories...I am so glad you shared it.
You all have been in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers through this difficult time...love you all,
jed and family
Chris, you are as always, wonderful with your words. Carrie, I am so sorry to hear about your father. I have been through that also. Just remember, you never forget, it just gets easier to remember. You and your family are in our prayers at this time and always. Hope to see you again soon. Hugs to all of you!
Such words of truth Chris. Of course, I sit here with tears streaming down my face, but I find peace knowing he is celebrating life in the most amazing place! I love you all!
Post a Comment