Friday, April 8, 2011

Baby Update: 34 Weeks

I cheated -- this is from last week @ 33 weeks
 

Last time @ 33 weeks -- I think my belly literally was 2x as big! 

 
Am I the only one impressed with myself for only waiting 4 weeks between updates? Yes? Well, thankfully there hasn't been too much to update on. The weeks continue to fly by as we get closer to meeting this little girl. I am starting to slow down a little, but am still feeling quite good. But as the nurse pointed out yesterday, compared to carrying twins last time, this should be a walk in the park! Last time I couldn't sit, stand, walk, sleep, breathe without discomfort at this point...so really, any complaints this time around are pretty minor.

Blood sugars are still under control and one more benefit of all the healthy eating is the fact that I haven't gained any weight since February. Weird, huh? I asked if I should be concerned about that, and they said as long as the baby is growing then my weight is really not relevant. Kind of strange, but I will oh-so-gladly sacrifice my body's fat reserves for the well-being of this child. :)

I am being monitored weekly with growth ultrasounds and non-stress tests to make sure the baby is continuing to grow (but not too fast!) and is getting adequate blood flow & moving around like she should. I found out this week that one concern with gestational diabetes is that sometimes the placenta can start to deteriorate earlier than it should, so they like to keep a close eye on things to make sure it's still functioning well. Everything is A-OK in that department, if you're staying up at night worrying about my placenta. ha!

At this point, it's hard to get many good ultrasound pictures since she's pretty much folded up like a pretzel in there, but it's always fun to see her moving around in there. At my 34 week appointment yesterday, she and my belly were both measuring about 1 week ahead of schedule, and they gave her estimated weight as 5 lbs 6 oz. They always add the disclaimer that this late in pregnancy the estimate is accurate +/- 1 lb, so that's a pretty wide margin...funny to think that she is about the same size Maguire was at birth!

But in any case, she is growing fine with still technically 6 weeks to go until my due date. My doctor says we'll continue to monitor weekly and make tentative plans to deliver around 38-39 weeks if she keeps growing like she is. So, we could be less than 4 weeks away from baby!

No comments: