Like millions of Americans, the Studer family spent Memorial Day weekend on the open road. We headed to Minnesota for my niece Brianna's graduation party. She's 18, and that means I'm old.
So now to the whole dead turkey thing. This is all the evidence of that tragic moment left on our van's grill. Here's how it happened.
We were just driving along when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something running . I didn't think much of it because it was in a field off to the side of the road. It started getting closer though, so I slowed a bit. I thought it was a pheasant, and living in South Dakota for as long as I have now, it's not unusual to see one running along. People hit them now and then, but they're pretty good about flying away. But this was no pheasant...and we weren't in SoDak anymore.
All of a sudden, this massive bird runs right in front of the van. "Oh crap, that's a turkey..." I said, my heart pumping. Another car was coming in the other lane, so there was nowhere to swerve. That's when it happened. The turkey and my Honda Odessey were on a collision course that simply could not be avoided. His (or her, I didn't really see which) massive body slammed into the grill, flew up and hit the windshield, and flew over the van to the road below. It was over. Then from the backseat I hear a little girl's voice say, "Daddy, what just happened?"Not knowing exactly what to say, or what Ellie saw, our conversation went something like this...
Chris: "Nothing honey, a bird just flew over the van."
Ellie: "Then what happened?"
Chris:"Then he flew away."
Ellie: "But then what?"
Carrie: "Well honey, what did you see?"
Ellie: "What I saw was that we hit that duck!"
Chris and Carrie: (Hysterical Laughter)
Chris: "It was actually a turkey, and Daddy couldn't get out of the way, so we accidentally hit it."
Moral of the story? Well, there are two. 1. Don't lie to your kid, she knew anyway. 2. Don't hit turkeys. Not that I tried to hit it, I truly couldn't get out of the way. So the turkey was at fault. I thought maybe we should've stopped and at least roasted the turkey that night. But Carrie declined. Then later in the trip Ellie says, "Daddy, next time when a turkey runs on the road, you should slow down and let him cross."
To that I said, "Next time I will honey, next time I will."

2 comments:
Good to her from you, Chris!! Loved all the pictures. Seriously, though, I think the carmex on Maguire helped repel some of the dirt that day. The downside...it leaves a terrible bathtub ring!
Good account of your trip, and nice pix! Glad the turkey didn't hurt your van! And, Mr. Grammarian -- "I saw something running out of the corner of my eye!!" I've been laughing for ten minutes!! What could possibly be running out of the corner of your eye!! Love ya!
Post a Comment