Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Father's Worst Nightmare



Alright...maybe "Worst Nightmare" is a little dramatic, but it's never easy to hear your son say "I wanna Barbie!" Which is what he says in this little video if you couldn't completely understand it. Maguire the other day just belted that out after his big sister was playing with her Barbies at the kitchen table. Carrie says she didn't do anything to encourage the phrase. Except for the fact that after they were crying and pointing to the Barbies, Carrie asked, "Do you want a Barbie?" That's when he said it. Then of course she tried to coax it out of him all day because she thought it was funny. I get home from work that afternoon and Carrie says, "Maguire, say, 'I want a Barbie!" And of course he obliged.

Because the boys have an older sister, I guess it was inevitable that they would play with some girl toys. But for one of them (who is just starting to put two and three words together by the way) to put together four words and say, "I want a Barbie," is a little unsettling to say the least. Why couldn't it have been, "I want a G.I. Joe" or something a little more manly like, "I wanna BB gun!" But no. My son apparently wants a Barbie. But I guess it could be worse. He could be saying, "I want an earring..." or "I hate you, Dad." Those phrases will come soon enough I suppose. So for now I guess I should just shrug it off and laugh. I even have to admit it is a little funny. But if Alex starts saying it I may change my mind...

4 comments:

Grammie and Papa said...

This was a riot!!
xxoo

The Pendills said...

Don't worry, when he figures out what G.I.Joes and BB guns are, he'll want those too!

Jed, Katie and The Girls said...

Yes, and watch out Barbie---he just may chase you with GI Joe and his BB gun!
Chris it will be alright...great times, love that video, he will love seeing that when he is older!! Of course, you could be surrounded by a plethora of Barbies, and dress up stuff with never a hope of a GI Joe or a BB gun to come, unless of course I get one for myself:)

Mom said...

There's a Mermaid Barbie on sale at Wal-Mart -- should I get a couple!???? Love that little voice!