Friday, October 17, 2008

Get Your Motor Runnin'


Christmas of 2006, Grandma and Grandpa Studer got Ellie a little princess bike. At that time, she could reach the pedals, but didn't really get the concept of pedaling just yet. Her helmet was a couple sizes too big as well. And over the past two years she's had a funny relationship with that bike. For a week she'll love to get on it, then she won't want to ride for two months. But last week we were going for a walk to the Lewis Drug store near our house when I asked her if she'd like to ride her bike. She said, "Sure Daddy, I'll ride my bike."

So we headed off. What's normally about a 5 minute walk to the store turned into about a 30 minute walk to the store. But it was worth it. Almost a year ago now, she started to get the pedaling thing down. But our street isn't level, we're on a bit of a hill, so she's either going downhill too fast, or uphill and she can't pedal hard enough. That means we haven't had a whole lot of good practice. But this day would be different.

She really got the pedaling thing down, and even knows how to stop! She can press back on the pedal and, "I stopped Daddy, I can stop!" Steering though, that needs some work.

So enjoy the video of her pedaling herself. It's a momentous occasion in a dad's life when their child learns to ride a bike. Hopefully someday we'll even take the training wheels off. That'll take a little more practice though I suppose...and probably some elbow and knee pads to go along with the helmet.

4 comments:

Ryan and Kristi said...

How cool is that!! It might not be the girliest thing to do but I think you guys should put some baseball cards in the spokes so it makes that motorcycle noise. My brother and I used to always do that then we would act like we were in the show "CHiPS". The only problem is, he would never let me be Ponch he had to be Ponch, ALWAYS and I had to be Jon. DANG HIM!! If we have twin boys I'll make sure they spilt who is Ponch and who is Jon.

Megan and Abram Bouché said...

Way to go Ellie! The milestones are so fun! I'll call you tomorrow to chat (I haven't been ignoring you Car!)

Mom said...

Woo hoo! Good job Ellie! Looks like it took a little effort, though, with the grunts I heard when she started pedaling. Cute close up of her at the end. Keep up the good work!

Tell her g-ma loves her and is so proud of her!

Grammie and Papa said...

Go, Ellie, go!!
Love you!