Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fight For Preemies: Prematurity Awareness Day


Today is National Prematurity Awareness Day. I know we don't normally blog about anything other than our little family, but I decided to make an exception for this cause.

I don't think anyone ever expects to have a premature baby, let alone two at a time! We were very fortunate to be living in a bigger(ish) city when the boys were born a little more than a month early, at 35 weeks 5 days, with access to state of the art facilities for premature babies. Although we had a relatively "uncomplicated" two-week stay in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), not all babies do. We met a little girl who was celebrating her first birthday within the walls of the NICU, having never left the hospital.
Our family is only one of many, many families who have benefited from the March of Dimes' years of research and education on prematurity. We have two beautiful, healthy, crazy, active, almost TWO-year-old boys to show for it. We are blessed.



Today over 400 Bloggers are participating in Bloggers Unite Fight for Preemies to raise awareness of the 20 million babies who are born prematurely each year. You can learn how to help fight against premature birth here.

1 comment:

sarah :) said...

I can't believe how toddler-like the boys look! Wow.
And, for Ellie's birthday post, my mom always made signs/rhymes for our birthdays too. I made my own this past year, "Ain't she fine - Sarah's twenty-nine!" ;) I think Mom would have loved it, heehee.
xx