Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Trick or Treat!


The Studer family hit the streets of Huron on Halloween in search of candy. Before the actual night of Halloween, however, we stopped by Chris's office on Friday for a dress rehearsal. I think Chris is the only employee at Farmers Union with small children, so we hit the jackpot when it came to candy!

We got out the costumes a day early, in hopes that the boys would get used to their hats and not put up too big of a stink when it was go time. Well, it must have worked because they both wore their hats the entire time we trick or treated! Also, it was in the 40's, so I suppose any bit of warmth helped. At least it wasn't snowing!




Maguire and I having a chat about maximizing his cuteness in order to score the most candy. For those of you who've known me since my Bemidji State University days, yes that is the same sweatshirt I stole freshman year from Scott Erickson and "forgot" to return. 13 years ago. Ahem.




For some reason, Ellie wanted a little hairspray for her Ariel 'do, although I had a hard time distinguishing it from her everyday hairstyle. Must be the seashell headband.




Hard to believe that our die-hard Little Mermaid fan made it to her 5th Halloween before she actually dressed up as Ariel!



Alex the dragon -- he roared on command, walked all over people's grass and flowers, and tried to knock on doors at even the dark houses. He was pretty into the trick-or-treating.



Maguire the puppy dog -- barked on command, loved knocking on doors, and just kept on taking candy from bowls as long as the person kept holding the bowl out (I swear at the end of the night he had twice the candy of the other two!)




They had a blast! This was the first year we haven't celebrated with our friends the Lawrences in Sioux Falls. Although we missed spending Halloween with them, it was a lot of fun to walk from house to house in our new neighborhood.

Maguire, double-dipping from someone's candy bowl. Seriously, Chris and I would be introducing ourselves to a new neighbor and Maguire just kept grabbing candy from their bucket.









Somehow, the almost 5 year old ended up getting carried while the two little boys walked the whole time. Doesn't quite seem right, but they didn't seem to mind.


Maguire also loved to shut people's doors for them. Sometimes the person would still be talking or saying goodbye, and he'd just start pushing their door closed like, "Thank you, that will be all for tonight. Let's move on."



We had a great time trick-or-treating, the boys did so good without the stroller. Ellie was the one who called it quits and decided to go home and pass out candy. I think the boys could have kept trolling for treats all night.

4 comments:

Grammie and Papa said...

Looks like it was a perfect night to be tromping through the neighborhood. Glad you had fun.

Jed, Katie and The Girls said...

Love it, great costumes you guys!! Sounds like the boys were quite a blast...and every mermaid needs her hairspray...
Nice shout out to Scott too---such a proud day to be able to relive that moment 13 years later??!! Holy cow, that's insane! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one to hold on to some of that memorabilia...in fact, I just had my 8th floor "Beaver Liquors" shirt on for my morning run to keep warm. It doesn't hurt to publicize such a fine establishment, right?? :)

sarah :) said...

Fun stuff!! Is the candy gone or is it rationed? :)

Ryan and Kristi said...

That was 13 years ago...WHAT??? NO WAY!! Where has the time gone. As for the sweat shirt, it still looks brand new. Do you only where it for weddings and special occasions. I think Chris should carry me around while I go house to house and trick and treat. 13 years!! I can't believe it. I'm so floored and shocked right now that I'm going to start drinking and it's only 6am...13 years....WOW!!