Soooo.... I figured that since Christmas is nearly upon us, I should maybe finish writing the Thanksgiving post that has been in my Draft Box since the end of November. Because I am all about being punctual like that. Above is a picture of the giant Christmas card now adorning our front yard. More on that later.
Grammie, Uncle Nate, and Aunt Alissa joined us in Huron for the Thanksgiving weekend, and we couldn't call it a visit from Grammie without some sort of craft project, could we? Here's Grammie & Ellie hard at work on the Oreo turkeys. Well, I guess mostly Grammie is working hard while Ellie eats cookies and supervises.
Aunt Liss and the boys watch in amazement at Grammie & Ellie's craftiness.
I must say, we really outdid ourselves with Thanksgiving dinner. We timed the meal to happen during the boys' naptime, so it was delightful to eat an entire meal without getting a fork thrown at me or hearing any little voices begging for more yogurt bites. Lovely.
After dinner we had our yearly neighborhood stroll while Chris put up the Christmas lights outside.
The boys, relaxing in front of the fire with Nate & Lissa.
Okay, more about the giant Christmas card. Our neighborhood is one of 41 streets in the city of Huron participating in "Christmas Lanes." There are all kinds of decorated streets, with names like "Moo-ry Christmas Lane," "Candy Cane Lane," and "Christmas Village Drive." Our street is Christmas Card Lane, which basically means we had to create a giant Christmas card (ideally with your family's name on it) to display from Thanksgiving until New Years Eve. Well, thank the good Lord the two craftiest people in our family (and I do not mean Chris and myself) were at our house over Thanksgiving weekend. I found a card for inspiration, and Nate and Alissa took it from there. Chris also took one for the team and did a LOT of painting. I think it turned out fantastic, and desperately hope we win a prize for Best Holiday Spirit. And I may be joking about my desire to win, but I am totally not making up the award thing. They are Serious with a capital S in this town about Christmas -- there is a panel of judges who drive around the Christmas Lanes and at the end of the season, they give out awards for Most Festive Lane, Best House, etc.
Wowsers.

Another highlight of the weekend was the Parade of Lights. At first, we were a little skeptical about a Parade of Lights in a smaller town, but it was great!


Here was our best attempt at a picture of Grammie with all three kids. Impossible.

It would be silly of me to not talk a little bit about our first holiday without my Dad. Some parts of the weekend were more difficult than I thought they would be, and some were easier. We had some really good talks around the fire after the children went to bed, about life and grief and how nothing is ever what you expect it will be. There were tears, but there was also much laughter and comfort in being together.
Another highlight of the weekend was the Parade of Lights. At first, we were a little skeptical about a Parade of Lights in a smaller town, but it was great!
Here was our best attempt at a picture of Grammie with all three kids. Impossible.
It would be silly of me to not talk a little bit about our first holiday without my Dad. Some parts of the weekend were more difficult than I thought they would be, and some were easier. We had some really good talks around the fire after the children went to bed, about life and grief and how nothing is ever what you expect it will be. There were tears, but there was also much laughter and comfort in being together.
This year has been hard, there's no way to gloss it over. In the last 12 months, we've gone through a layoff, a (thank goodness, successful!) job search, a home sale and new home purchase, a move, and the loss of a parent. But we are choosing thankfulness.
There have been some tough times in 2009 but we still have so much to be thankful for. I don't say that lightly. While our time together at Thanksgiving was obviously colored by our loss, we decided to see the joy in the happy moments, and allow ourselves the room to be sad when we felt sad. My dad wouldn't want us to all sit around and be sad the whole time. Maybe for a little bit, though.... :) On his grave marker is the phrase "Joy in the journey," and to focus only on our loss during this season would be to miss out on all the moments of joy that do come from being together. So again, we choose thankfulness.
"Thanksgiving is turning the heart to look back to see all the long way His arms have carried. Lord, today to pause and hold a memory, even one that hurts... because remembering is looking back to see You holding me." --Ann Voskamp

4 comments:
Beautiful.
I LOVE the sign and I LOVE the oreo cookie turkies!! Although I think I would of taken Ellies approach and ate them all before I got 1 turkey completed!! I wish you and your entire family only the best during this holiday season and Merry Christmas!!
I love the last few sentences about grief and your dad not wanting us to sit around ALL the time being sad. :) Joy in the journey...
Grief does come in waves, and it can be surprising or unexpected how it affects us.
Thanks for sharing your heart, Carrie.
sending my love!
Very touching, and with so much truth in your thoughts and words Carrie--thanks for sharing them, it is very special.
I am sorry it didn't work out to get together in Brainerd over Christmas...we arrived in Brainerd from Red Wing on the 23rd late in the evening, after the first 18 hours of a 48 hour "bug". We woke up during the night before, both of us horribly sick, luckily the girls never caught whatever it was! It was horrible, we didn't even want to expose my dad to our sick selves until Christmas Eve!
Anyway, overall, it was a quick trip with both hometowns in the week's time. It was nice to see family for the holidays, and spend the time together...you just never know what this life brings, or when...
I hope you all had a great holiday, and had safe travels. We will connect sometime, maybe next summer? Enjoy the rest of this year, and we wish you all the best in 2010!!
Love you all,
Jed and ALL the girls:)
Post a Comment