Sunday, June 15, 2008

Tales From a "Geek"

So Carrie's done a masterful job of keeping up the blog lately since I took a leave of absence. Let's all give her a hand. I don't know why I haven't written in like forever, I just haven't. So anyway. Now that that's over with...
Let's start with yesterday. Some friends of ours invited us to come along to the "Hot Air Balloon Launch" here in Sioux Falls. It is what it sounds like. A hot air balloon launch. A bunch of balloons go up into the air. It was supposed to start at 6:30. But the balloons didn't go up until like 7:30. So instead of waiting for an hour with 5 month-old twins, a stubborn 3 year-old, and their two little boys, we found a park within sight of the launch and headed there instead. You can see they had fun, and could still watch the balloons.This is Ellie and Josh (our friend's kid) looking back to look at the balloons while swinging. My mom always said don't look back while you're going forward, but I suppose swinging is an exception to the rule, right mom?
Now onto today...

I had a wonderful Father's Day, my first with 3 children. Man that's nuts. Excuse me while I try and soak that in..........Alright...I've got it. So the day started with some coffee and a delicious bacon filled egg bake for b-fast. It was good stuff. Then I opened my presents. From Ellie: A card and a coffee cup with the word "Geek" on it. It was one where it had the word, and then the funny definitions of the word under it. Here it is...Obviously Ellie can't read, (unless Carrie's secretly been teaching her and not telling me, and she really does think I'm a geek. I'm guessing in about 12 years she surely will) but it was blue. And Ellie says, "Daddy, it's blue, you like blue 'cause you're a boy!" So now I have a "Geek" coffee cup, but I do like blue I guess, so it fits. [Side Note from Carrie: I swear on a stack of Bibles I did not pick out this cup. She wanted to get him a coffee cup, and this was the one she went right to at the store. Would not be talked into anything else.] Carrie and the boys got me some new cologne. Alex thinks I stink, so he suggested it. I don't blame him.
I finished off the afternoon playing a baseball game in a town not far from here. We lost though. Not much of a present. But it's always fun to be out there, and Carrie couldn't even get upset that I was gone, because it is Father's Day after all...
Alex is a little stingy with the smiles, but I finally found a way to make him laugh. So I kept doing it.


Alex taking a bite out of Maguire's forehead. Maguire could care less too. If it was the other way around Alex would be screamin' his little head off.



The boys got some Twins hats a few weeks ago from some friends. They're a little big, and they fellas don't know what to think about them just yet, but I'm sure they'll get used to it...they have to, right?

4 comments:

Grammie and Papa said...

Dear "Geek".....Happy Father's Day!!!

We think the 3 reasons you are a Dad are adorable!! ALthough we may be just a little biased.

G and P

ej knits said...

Reading about your fab fam makes me happy every time! I love your blog! :) Say hey to Carrie for me too!

Erin (Zimms) B :)

Mom said...

Awesome balloons; cute family! Interesting that Ellie went for the "Geek" cup. No -- I'm sure she can't read!? Glad you had a good
Father's day.
Guess I can modify the rule -- if you are sitting on a swing, you may look back while swinging forward.
Love, Mom

The Studers said...

Thanks mom for modifying the rule...I'll be sure to pass it along to my kids...and all of the other rules that I had to abide by...man were there a lot :)