
"Excuse me, what's that you say? In about 12 years, we're going to have twins?"
Okay, obviously that picture is not from one year ago today...... But as I was going through random pictures in search of another photo, I found this lovely snapshot of us before my Senior Prom -- April 1996 -- and couldn't resist posting it. Wow. Little did those blissfully clueless high school sweethearts know....
...that on July 23, 2007, they would be floored by the news that they were not having one baby, they were having two! This was our very first picture of the boys together. What we thought would just be a run-of-the-mill 1st OB/GYN appointment turned a lot more interesting when the doctor decided to do an quick ultrasound so we could see the baby's heartbeat as we hadn't been able to hear it that day. I was only about 10 weeks along, so this was not unusual. She started the ultrasound and said "Well, there's the sac, and inside it is your baby!" Cue the smiling and a little teariness (at least by me) that all was well with this new little life inside. Then she said "And there's a second sac." I don't think the meaning of her words was clear to either Chris or myself, because I don't think we reacted at all to that statement. So then she turned to us, freeze-framed the ultrasound picture, and said, "And that's what it looks like when you're having two babies!" Okay, now cue the dead silence. Seriously, people, I think I heard crickets. I think the phrase most used for the remainder of the day by both of us was "Two babies. Wow. Two babies." I distinctly remember leaving the doctor's office feeling like someone was playing a trick on us.
I don't think anything can prepare you for having twins -- the physical strain of carrying two babies for (almost!) 9 months, the lack of sleep, the random questions and comments from total strangers -- I think 'Double trouble!' and 'Are they natural?' are my two least favorite. (And yes, I have been asked that one on more than one occasion! Seriously, the things some people say. It would be enough for another post altogether -- Top 10 Most Annoying Things People Say to Parents of Twins When Out in Public. However -- must think of catchier, less lengthy title for that one first.) But I digress....
There are so many good things you can't be prepared for either -- the way it feels to cuddle those two wiggly little bodies close, the sound of them chattering at each other (even when they should be asleep!), being greeted by two grinning little faces when they see you first thing in the morning. We have been so blessed in so many ways -- healthy pregnancy, healthy babies, wonderful family and friends who help and encourage us in so many different ways.
What a year it has been. Yes, it's chaotic and loud and exhausting. But it's so much fun.
(I just wanted to throw this last one in as a before/after shot. For every reasonably cute picture we get of the boys together, there are at least 4-5 more that look like the one below. )

4 comments:
Pretty sure it's a good thing that God only wants us to live in TODAY and not know what the years ahead will bring!! Even the day before you had the boys you wondered how on earth you were going to manage and look how faithful God has been to you, keeping you awake, keeping your sanity...for the most part! You guys ROCK at parenting three!
What a fantastic post, Carrie! Precious pictures, memories, and reflections.
Gosh, that prom picture is priceless! ;)
Love you & can't wait to see you all sooooooon!!!!!
Guess I didn't know the exact date you found out about the twins -- I just remember your phone call -- "Mom, we just got a bomb dropped on us!"
Praise God for everyone's health, and the financial provision of Chris's job!! You're doing great!
Are you guys sure that's not one of your wedding pictures? It looks like it could of been taken yesterday!! WOW, time flies doesn't it!! It blows my mind that Addyson turns 1 in 1 month. It seems like she was born just yesterday.
Your boys look GREAT but of course that goes with out saying, they always look GREAT!!
Post a Comment