Friday, January 25, 2008

Paging Dr. Daddy

(<--Maguire's Chest X-Ray. I can totally read it. Well, maybe not.)

It's amazing how fast you learn what all of the bells, whistles and numbers mean in the NICU when you live there every day, and your children's lives depend on them. I feel like I'm on "rounds" every morning when we go in to see our little fellows. I walk into the room and talk to the nurse and say, "So how is his respiratory rate? What are his SATS like today? How many CC's of milk have you given him? His NG tube looks good...is the PICC line still doing well?" I feel like I should get a huge paycheck (or wish, I guess) for everything I've learned. I won't hold my breath. But it seems the answer to those questions from every nurse and nurse practitioner and any of the other dozens of health care workers that poke our boys on a daily basis is: "They're doing great. Better every day." We're so very thankful for that, and today was another wonderful day. We're just praying that they continue. Today we got to hold Maguire even more. The big thing today was that Maguire got his first shot at eating out of a bottle! That's huge, considering two days ago he wasn't even eating anything because his lungs were infected. They've told us that the pneumonia is basically cleared up already, and the hole in his lung is gone. We praise God for all of it. We know many of you have been praying for healing, and we know the Lord is answering those prayers. Maguire's other big accomplishment today: moving to a wide open crib! He's been in the isolette, while his brother's been in a crib for two days now. Maguire's catching up, and we hope he's neck and neck with Alex soon. Maguire's also been taken off the "spotlight" he's been under for jaundice. He doesn't get to wear the sweet shades anymore, and he's much more comfortable now that he can be wrapped up in a blanket. Small steps grow into big leaps we hope. Alex continues to nurse very well every day, and they're continuing to increase the amount they're feeding him. Hopefully he'll continue to get bigger and stronger every day, and maybe sometime soon we'll hear, "He's about ready to go home." There couldn't be any sweeter words in the world.












--You wouldn't like it either if you had a bunch of plastic up your nose.

--Maguire loves his shades -- especially purple ones.

Alex sleeps a lot lately, but he's starting to put on weight!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Hope you are feeling better" love Aaron
"I prayed for you tonight" love Jonathan
I am afraid that my boys read a comment about Ellie wanting to name the boys froggy and banana- it has stuck- (I am sorry) know that Froggy and Banana are prayed for several times a day.
love
Amanda