Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Good News!

One thing that kind of got pushed to the wayside during the boys' hospital stay was Maguire's potential kidney problems. I know Chris briefly mentioned it in a few posts while I was pregnant, but on several ultrasounds they saw cysts on the right kidney of Baby B (Maguire). And in the last ultrasound I had before the boys were born, they were not able to see his right kidney at all. They told us that was not unusual, and that 1 in 1000 people only have one kidney. Since kidneys are such efficient organs, you really only need one to work. And when something is not developing right in utero, sometimes the body just reabsorbs the organ. Weird, huh? Well, we went to the hospital last Friday for some follow-up tests to make sure everything was okay with his remaining kidney. The urologist had told us if there were abnormalities, that surgery or medication may be a possibility to keep the kidney working well.
Maguire was such a trooper, he had to get an IV and a catheter for the two tests. The nurses had sugar water to dip his pacifier in, but I think he must have remembered that the last time he got that, he got circumcised, because he didn't want anything to do with it! Okay, I know babies can't remember stuff like that, but maybe for an event that traumatizing....
We found out yesterday that everything was completely normal with his kidney, praise God! The boys have their two-month check-up on Thursday, so we will have all their latest weights and measurements then. They are growing like little weeds -- when they weighed Maguire at the hospital, he was 10 lb. 1 oz! Thanks to everyone for all your prayers during pregnancy and after for this kidney stuff -- Maguire might only have one kidney, but Alex can tell you (if he could speak) that it must be working great because he gets peed on quite often!
Imagine how you'd feel if you got tubes and radioactive material put up into places we won't even mention! (I didn't know they even made catheters that small!)



2 comments:

Grammie and Papa said...

Love the 'boys in the hood!'
xxoo
See you soon!

sarah :) said...

that is great news!! :D

Love you all!
sarah et all