Friday, February 1, 2008

Day In The Life: Ellie

In the 12 days since her little brothers were born, Ellie's world has been turned inside out, upside down, and spun in a circle. But we're so very proud of the way she's been. She's doing very well with both sets of grandparents as they've looked after her. But it's still a struggle. "Where are you going Daddy?" That's the question I get about every morning and night. "I'm going to see your brothers again, Sweetie..." That's about all I can say. It's hard on all of us to be sure. But she has loving grandparents that do just about anything she wants, so who wouldn't like that? She's also made out pretty well on the "Big Sister Presents" front.



She's been coming up to the hospital with us on occasion, but she of course can't come back to see her brothers. So she sits in the lobby with Grammie or Papa, watching cartoons and playing in "The Fort." Her favorite activity seems to be eating Cheerios. The kid eats 2 of the little boxes every time we go up, plus a box of Froot Loops to boot. It's just crazy. Ellie got a "Big Sister" sticker yesterday when we went up too, so she was pretty excited. But our daughter has been a little trooper through all of this, and we're so very proud.





As for the boys, they're both doing well. Alex is doing the best, and we may get to take him home in the next few days!! We're shooting for tomorrow already, but we haven't been given a specific date just yet, so we're trying not to get too excited. He just needs to show that he can eat well on his own consistently, then they'll discharge him!

Maguire's got a little ways to go yet before he's ready to make the trip home. He's still taking oxygen, but it's being reduced. Hopefully that will go away soon, and he can consistently eat well for a few days. Then he should be able to come home. But it's still hard to say when that oxygen will be taken away. Doctors still aren't sure why he's still requiring oxygen, but his lung issues in the past are probably to blame. Once he tackles that, he should be good to go.
Thanks again to all of you who read these words, and for your continued prayers, keep 'em coming!We definitely need 'em!





(<---Mommy settling down Maguire, he's kind of a little pistol sometimes...)
















(<---Alex being his cool and collected self. He should lose that stupid green feeding tube today!!)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellie I like your pony tails and your BIG SISTER tag! You look so grown up! Sure will be nice to see the boys without tubes-- it is going to happen-- SOON (like next 3 days soon- I hope!) Doctors are so non-specific aren't they? Auntie and Uncle can't wait to come south and see everyone and give you all great big hugs!!

mash1019 said...

Hi Chris, Carrie, Ellie, and boys!It's Sha'ree E!I can't believe I finally figured this out!I know how you are feeling and it's nothing but anticipation!As I told you I hated the "3 more dys"!I also forgot to tell you that I'm on a preemie support group online and you are welcome to check it out!Preemies of all ages, sizes are represented.Believe it or not, we parents of moderate/late preemies are the majority!www.preemiegroup.com We pray for your sweet boys every day and for that call from the NICU saying "as long as they gain weight tonight, they are coming home tomorrow"! God Bless you all!